Tag Archives: cozy coupe

Cookie Monster Cozy Coupe

20140603-001346-826348.jpg

20140603-001347-827642.jpg

Good news! Using the app I’ve figured out how to add multiple pictures to my posts. I’ll have to go back and add pictures to my other posts.

No cute story this time. I just wanted to make a Cookie Monster and hopefully sell for the amount of money that I put into it.

A couple of days watching Craigslist provided a 30th anniversary cozy coupe that already had the eyes. Took off the gas cap and steering wheel using the technique described in the Mickey Mouse post (sorry I don’t know how to link to it yet) and removed the screws holding down the eyes. A couple of cans of blue Krylon Fusion for the body. A can of white on the gas cap and eyes to clean them up and then a sharpie and some black acrylic paint for the pupils of his eyes and to draw on the mouth.

Only thing left to do was to take a few pictures and put it back on Craigslist.

Mickey Mouse Cozy Coupe

20140602-234601-85561841.jpg

My second attempt at renovating a cozy coupe went more smoothly than the first, but I learned even more along the way. This time I did some research into taking a cozy coupe apart since I wanted the roof a different color than the body.

The first using a pair of pliers and a screw driver to remove the gas cap. There are four prongs that have to be pushed, one at a time, toward the center of the cap while you pull up to get past the lip of plastic. The steering wheel can come out by turning the car upside down and squeezing to plastic pieces on the shaft to let it slide out of the hole. Getting the roof detached was just a matter of taking out two screws behind the headrest and lifting the back of the roof up. This rotated it enough for the front supports to pop out of their holes.

Someone that knows more about tools than I do could have probably done this next part more easily but I’m more of a baker than a craftsman. I cut a long strip of cardboard from a box, soaked it in water and set it on the roof of the car where I wanted to place the ears. When it dried I was able to use it to trace the curve of the roof onto a pice of cardboard and ten draw a template for the ears. That also let me hold that up to the car to make sure that they looked right. Then it was off to my brother in law’s house for help cutting out the ears out of 3/4″ plywood. A few quick passes with the sander and they were nice and smooth. Drilled a couple of pilot holes and using 4″ screws and washers to keep the screw heads from digging into the roof of the car and it was time to paint.

Once again using the Krylon fusion I was able to use one can of red and about a can and a half of black finish it up. I found out the hard way though that they weren’t kidding about it taking a full week for the paint to be chip resistant and had to touch up parts after putting the roof back on. Turns out taking it apart is much easier then putting it back together, but that’s true of most things. A couple of 4″ white vinyl circles later and Mickey was ready to become a birthday present for my cousin’s son.

Mickey was a huge hit and I’ve been told that the birthday boy has even been demanding to take his meals in there.

I’ve been asked to do a Minnie Mouse and will post that when it’s done. I have the bow and ears ready and I’m just waiting on the cozy coupe from the friends that want it done.

20140603-002557-1557033.jpg

My nephew donated his old cozy coupe to my son and I wanted to fix it up for him.  I had seen a Batmobile cozy coupe on Pinterest and since I love Batman I decided that this would be perfect.

I wanted to keep my cost down so I decided to use painter’s tape instead of trying to find and but decals the right size.  So, the first step was to measure the doors to see how large of a logo I should use.  Then it was off to Google image search to find the right logo.  I had no idea that there were as many different logos as there are.  Once I found this one I copied it into a word program and set the view to “actual size”.  This let me resize the image as many times as I needed while I held my tape measurer to my monitor to get it right.  Then I printed out copies for the sides, front, roof, and headrest. A plastic grocery bag tied over each wheel was a super easy way to keep the paint off of them. I used the Krylon Fusion and had great success with getting it to bond to the plastic.  I sprayed yellow where I wanted the logos, the seat, gas cap, and supports. Once it was dry I used painters tape to cover an area larger then the printed logo, taped the logo over the painters tape, and proceeded to use my box cutter to cut out the logo (I have since bought an x-acto knife and would recommend that you do the same). Peel off the excess tape, cover the supports and gas cap with tape and two cans of black spray paint later we had a Batmobile. A sharpie worked perfectly for the license plate.

Thanks to Craigslist I’ve been able to purchase and renovate a couple more cozy coupes and was able to figure out how to take them apart to make it easier, but that’s info for another post.